Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 cup
- 3 to 4 ripe fresh figs
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- ½ Serrano chili pepper
- ½ lemon, juice and zest, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Soak the red onion in ice-cold water, while you chop the figs. The ice-water cuts the sharp, and sometimes bitter, bite of the onion.>
- Carefully hand-chop the figs into 1/2-inch dice. The ripest and juiciest figs are fragile and can easily squish, so use a sharp knife when cutting.
- Remove the seeds and ribs from the Serrano chili pepper, and finely mince. (You can add the seeds if you want a spicier salsa.)
- Drain the red onion, pat dry with paper towels, then add it with all ingredients, except for the lemon zest, in a mixing bowl, and gently combine.
Sprinkle the lemon zest on top. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let the salsa marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes. When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap, and gently toss the salsa again.