Extremely versatile, ground kangaroo meat can be used in most recipes calling for ground beef or venison. Kangaroo meat also has more protein and significantly lower cholesterol than lean beef. These burgers are incredibly savory with multiple levels of flavor. The grilled onion gives bite that cuts through the beefy-smoky kangaroo and the richness of the camembert cheese. Recipe courtesy of Marx Foods.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 pound ground kangaroo meat
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 4 ¼″-thick slices
- Camembert cheese, cut into thick wedges
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- In a large bowl mix together the ground kangaroo meat, egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley and the oregano. Form into 4 burgers. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and garlic clove.
- Heat grill to high. Put the burgers on the grill. Because the meat is so lean (only 2% fat), they won't take long to cook, and like most game meats, you don't want to over-cook them. Flip the burgers every 2 minutes to ensure even cooking. Depending on the thickness you've made them, the burgers will be done in 6 to 8 minutes.
- While the burgers are cooking, grill one side of the onion slices until grill marks appear. Flip the onion slices and top each with a piece of Camembert. Spread some of the mayonnaise on each bun. Put a burger on the bottom half of the bun. Top each burger with a Camembert-onion slice, and then the top half of the bun.